Intelligence operations: a first principle of cybersecurity.
Intelligence operations are a cybersecurity first principle strategy.
Intelligence is the fuel that drives the engine of security operations. Rick describes what it is, how to do it, and how to measure its effectiveness. Cyber threat intelligence can and should be implemented by every business regardless of size and resources. Rick teaches a six step intelligence process and uses a case study to focus the intelligence function on tasks that reduce the risk of material impact due to a cyber event.
Cybersecurity professional development and continued education.
You will learn about: cyber threat intelligence operations, how to implement the 6-step intelligence process, the MITRE ATT&CK framework, the Cyber Threat Alliance.
CyberWire is the world’s most trusted news source for cybersecurity information and situational awareness. Join the conversation with Rick Howard on LinkedIn and Twitter, and follow CyberWire on social media and join our community of security professionals: LinkedIn, Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, Instagram
Additional first principles resources for your cybersecurity program.
For more intelligence operations and cybersecurity first principles resources, check the topic essay.
- “Army Doctrine Publication: 2-0 Intelligence,” Headquarters Department of the Army, 31 August 2012, last visited 30 may 2020.
- “Corporate Overview, the MITRE Company,” MITRE, last visited 30 may 2020.
- “Espionage and Covert Operations: A Global History Course Guidebook,” by Professor Vejas Gabriel Liulevicius, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, The Great Courses, 2011, LAST VISITED 30 MAY 2020.
- "Intelligence-Driven Computer Network Defense Informed by Analysis of Adversary Campaigns and Intrusion Kill Chains,” by Hutchins, Clopper, and Amin, Lockheed Martin Corporation, 2010, Last Visited 5 August 2019.
- “Intelligence Operations,” by Christopher F. Gabel, Scholastic, last visited 30 may 2020.
- "MITRE ATT&CK: Design and Philosophy,” by Blake E. Strom, Andy Applebaum, Doug P. Miller, Kathryn C. Nickels, Adam G. Pennington, and Cody B. Thomas, MITRE, 2018, Last Visited 30 June 2020.
- “MITRE ATT&CK Evaluations,” MITRE, Last Visited 30 June 2020.
- “Practical Cyber Intelligence: How action-based intelligence can be an effective response to incidents” by Wilson Bautista, Published March 29th 2018 by Packt Publishing.
- “Star Wars - briefing scene HD,” by Balls Tesla, YouTube, 15 December 2016, Last Visited 30 June 2020.
- “The Anatomy of Counterintelligence,” by A. C. Wasemiller, Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), 2 JULY 96, Last Visited 30 June 2020.
- “The Cyber Threat Alliance,” Last Visited 30 June 2020.
- “The Dirty Dozen - Planning the Attack,” by b3nn41dU, YouTube, 15 May 2013, Last Visited 30 June 2020.
- “Threat Intelligence: Explained, Examined, & Exposed,” Sergio Caltagirone (Dragos) and Dave Bittner (Cyberwire), 25 October 2019, LAST VISITED 30 MAY 2020.