Identity management around the Hash Table.
Identity management is a cybersecurity first principle strategy.
Who does your identity management? If it isn’t your security team, Rick will tell you that needs some adjusting. In this lesson, Rick reviews the history of authentication, authorization, and identity. He breaks down the seven characteristics of an effective identity system for modern technologies and discusses next generation strategies. The Hash Table also lays out their requirements for a robust identity management system. Spoiler alert: zero trust is key.
Three members of the CyberWire’s hash table of experts
- Helen Patton - CISO - Ohio State University
- Suzie Smibert - CISO - Finning
- Rick Doten - CISO - Carolina Complete Health
discuss the things they worry about when it comes to identity management.
Cybersecurity professional development and continued education.
You will learn about: authentication and identity technologies, the 7 characteristics of identity systems, next generation identity management, zero trust for identity management
CyberWire is the world’s most trusted news source for cybersecurity information and situational awareness. Join the conversation with Rick Howard on LinkedIn and Twitter, and follow CyberWire on social media and join our community of security professionals: LinkedIn, Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, Instagram
- "AN H-ISAC FRAMEWORK FOR CISOsTO MANAGE IDENTITY,” H-ISAC, April 2020.
- “An Introduction to Identity Management,” By John K Waters, CSO, 15 October 2007.
- “Cybersecurity first principles: zero trust,” by Rick Howard, The Cyberwire, 18 May 2020.
- "IDENTITY FOR THE CISO NOT YET PAYING ATTENTION TO IDENTITY,” H-ISAC.
- “What is IAM? Identity and access management explained,” by James Martin and John Waters, CSO, 9 October 2018.
- “What is Identity and Access Management and Why is it a Vital IT Security Layer?” by Matt Miller, BeyondTrust, 29 November 2018.