The first principles of cybersecurity.
First Principles are the best way to build a cybersecurity program.
First principles are the best way to build anything. In this introduction session for cybersecurity first principles, Rick Howard reveals the power of first principles and how they can help you manage the ideas, strategies, and technologies that security teams wrestle with on a daily basis. From Aristotle to Musk, first principles have enabled every great development in technology and society. With first principles thinking, you can prevent security fires instead of fighting them, efficiently reduce your technical debt, and launch your security program to the next level.
Cybersecurity professional development and continued education.
You will learn about: first principles analysis | how first principles can enhance cybersecurity programs
CyberWire is the world’s most trusted news source for cybersecurity information and situational awareness. Join the conversation with Rick Howard on LinkedIn and Twitter, and follow CyberWire on social media and join our community of security professionals: LinkedIn, Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, Instagram
Additional first principles resources for your cybersecurity program.
For more cybersecurity first principles resources, check the topic essay.
- "Aristotle's First Principles," by Terrence Irwin, Published April 5th 1990 by OUP Oxford, Last Visited 22 June 2015
- "Elon Musk's first principles thinking: Does this learning style work?" by Slate Magazine, 11 February 2015, Last Visited 21 June 2015,
- "Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future," by Ashlee Vance, published by Ecco, May 19th 2015, Last Visited 21 June 2015
- “Foundation 20 // Elon Musk,” Kevin Rose, 7 September 2012, last visited 30 may 2020,
- "GGG#154: Ashlee Vance," by The Geek's Guide to the Galaxy Podcast, 2 June 2015, Last Visited 21 June 2015,
- "How Elon Musk Thinks: The First Principles Method," by 99u, Last Visited 21 June 2015,
- “Materiality in a nutshell,” by datamaran, Last Visited 30 April 2020,
- “Principia Mathematica, Vol 1,” by Bertrand Russell & Alfred North Whitehead, Merchant Books, 1903, Last Visited 19 October 2015
- "'Principia Mathematica' Celebrates 100 Years," by ROBERT SIEGEL, NPR, 22 December 2010, Last Visited 22 June 2015.
- "Principles of Philosophy (Principia Philosophiae): With A Special Introduction (With Active Table of Contents)" by by René Descartes, John Veitch (Introduction)" Published September 13th 2011, ASIN: B005N0LY5C, Last Visited 22 June 2015
- "Russell's Paradox,” Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 8 December 1995, revised 9 October 2016,
- "The First Principles Method Explained by Elon Musk,” Interview by Kevin Rose, 4 December 2013, Last Visited 30 April 2020,
- “The Cybersecurity Canon,” by Palo Alto Networks, Last Visited 30 April 2020,
- “The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win,” by Gene Kim, Kevin Behr, George Spafford, Published by IT Revolution Press, 10 January 2013, , Last Visited 30 April 2020