At a glance.
- BreachForums seems to be under new management.
- Threat group with novel malware operates in Southeast Asia.
- Data theft extortion on the rise.
- Key findings of Cisco's Cybersecurity Readiness Index.
- iPhones are no longer welcome in the Kremlin.
- Russian cyber auxiliaries and privateers devote increased attention to the healthcare sector.
BreachForums seems to be under new management.
Following the arrest of alleged BreachForums proprietor Pompompurin (allegedly known as Conor Brian Fitzpatrick IRL) last week, another figure has stepped up to claim ownership of the criminal forum, the Record reports. The forum, well-known as a C2C souk where stolen data were traded, is presently still inaccessible, but one "Baphomet" says he'll be bringing it back online soon. “Although I had already suspected it to be the case, its now been confirmed that Pom has been arrested. I think it's safe to assume he won't be coming back, so I'll be taking ownership of the forum,” the record quotes Baphomet as saying. “I have most, if not all the access necessary to protect BF infrastructure and users.” If Mr. Baphomet is as good as his word (and whom can you trust, if you can't trust someone with a demonological nom-de-hack?) BreachForums will return shortly, staged in new infrastructure.