Security ABCs Part 2: 8th Layer Insights and the Quest for Security Culture
This is the second of a two part series covering Cybersecurity’s ABCs: Security Awareness, Behavior, and Culture. This episode discusses the difficulty that security leaders have in defining what a security culture actually is. Luckily, we can draw on learnings from organizational culture management and culture transformation experts.
Guests for this episode include, David Sturt, Executive Vice President of the O.C. Tanner Institute, author of Great Work: How to Make a Difference People Love and Appreciate: Celebrating People, Inspiring Greatness., Dr. Jessica Barker (co-CEO and Co-Founder, Socio-Technical Lead at Cygenta; author of Confident Cyber Security and co-author of Cybersecurity ABCs), Kai Roer, Chief Research Officer at KnowBe4, creator of the Security Culture Framework, author of Build a Security Culture, and Michael Leckie, founding partner at Silverback Partners, LLC and author of The Heart of Transformation: Build the Human Capabilities that Change Organizations for Good.
References, Resources & Books:
- 4 Ways to Build a Thoughtful Security Culture, by Perry Carpenter
- 7 Tips for Building a Strong Security Culture, by Perry Carpenter
- Appreciate: Celebrating People, Inspiring Greatness, by David Sturt
- Build a Security Culture, by Kai Roer
- Confident Cyber Security: How to Get Started in Cyber Security and Futureproof Your Career, by Jessica Barker
- Culture Rules! The 10 Core Principles of Corporate Culture, by John R. Childress
- Cybersecurity ABCs: Delivering awareness, behaviours and culture change, by Jessica Barker, Adrian Davis, and Bruce Hallas
- Great Work: How to Make a Difference People Love, by David Sturt
- The Heart of Transformation: Build the Human Capabilities that Change Organizations for Good,, by Michael Leckie
- The Importance Of A Strong Security Culture And How To Build One, by Perry Carpenter
- Perry Carpenter's (ISC)2 Info Security Professional Journal 4 episode series on Security Awareness (Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4)
- Security Culture and Credential Sharing, KnowBe4 Research
- Security Culture Report 2021: A Global Security Culture Perspective During a Pandemic, KnowBe4 Research
- Seven Dimensions of Security Culture, KnowBe4 Research
- Transformational Security Awareness: What Neuroscientists, Storytellers, and Marketers Can Teach Us About Driving Secure Behaviors, by Perry Carpenter
Artwork by Chris Machowski.