Going Meta: A Conversation and AMA with Bruce Schneier
In this episode, Perry Carpenter interviews cybersecurity guru Bruce Schneier. Perry and Bruce explore how cybersecurity is about so much more than technology — It’s about people, so we benefit by taking a multidisciplinary approach.
In preparing for this interview, Perry solicited his LinkedIn network to see what questions people had for Bruce. This is a wide ranging conversation covering everything from Bruce’s thoughts on cybersecurity’s “first principles” to the impact that the pandemic had on society to need for regulation to help raise the overall standards for security and privacy.
Guest: Bruce Schneier (Bruce on Twitter)
- Bruce's personal website 'about me' page.
- Wikipedia article about Bruce Schneier.
- Another background article about Bruce.
- More Background on Bruce.
- Bruce's Solitaire encryption algorithm.
- More info on the Solitaire algorithm.
- Proximity Blindness.
- The story of the Blind Men and an Elephant.
- Cryptography After the Aliens Land.
- Secrets and Lies book preface with "If you think" quote.
- "if you think cryptography" quote.
Recommended Books (Amazon affiliate links):
- Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms and Source Code in C, by Bruce Schneier
- Beyond Fear: Thinking Sensibly About Security in an Uncertain World, by Bruce Schneier
- Click Here to Kill Everybody: Security and Survival in a Hyper-connected World, by Bruce Schneier
- Cryptography Apocalypse: Preparing for the Day When Quantum Computing Breaks Today's Crypto, by Roger Grimes
- Data and Goliath: The Hidden Battles to Collect Your Data and Control Your World, by Bruce Schneier
- Liars and Outliers: Enabling the Trust that Society Needs to Thrive, by Bruce Schneier
- Secrets and Lies: Digital Security in a Networked World, by Bruce Schneier
- Transformational Security Awareness: What Neuroscientists, Storytellers, and Marketers Can Teach Us About Driving Secure Behaviors by Perry Carpenter
Music and Sound Effects by Blue Dot Sessions & Storyblocks.
Artwork by Chris Machowski.