Security ABCs Part 1: Make Awareness Transformational
This is the first of a two part series covering Cybersecurity’s ABCs: Security Awareness, Behavior, and Culture. We touched on facets of Awareness in Episode 1 and Behavior in Episode 3. These two episodes cover the cybersecurity ABCs in a very pragmatic way, with this episode covering Awareness and Behavior and Episode 10 providing a deep dive into Culture.
Guests for this episode include, Dr. Jessica Barker (co-CEO and Co-Founder, Socio-Technical Lead at Cygenta; author of Confident Cyber Security and co-author of Cybersecurity ABCs), Chrysa Freeman (Senior Program Manager for Security Awareness at Code42), Ian Murphy (Founder, CyberOff), and Lauren Zink (Senior Security Awareness Specialist at Boeing; author of LinkedIn Learning courses: Creating a Security Awareness Program and Building a Security Awareness Program: Phishing Simulations).
References, Resources & Books:
- 5 Things You May Not Know About Security Awareness Training, by Perry Carpenter
- Confident Cyber Security: How to Get Started in Cyber Security and Futureproof Your Career, by Jessica Barker
- Cybersecurity ABCs: Delivering awareness, behaviours and culture change, by Jessica Barker, Adrian Davis, and Bruce Hallas
- The Dilemma: Should you phish test during the COVID-19 pandemic?, by Perry Carpenter
- Down the Rabbit Hole: Why People Question the Value of Security Awareness, by Perry Carpenter
- Do You Care More about What Your People Know, or What they Do? Coming to grips with the knowledge-intention-behavior gap, by Perry Carpenter
- The Fundamental Importance of Choice and Variety in Security Awareness Program Content, by Perry Carpenter
- G.I. Joe Public Service Announcements compilation
- Perry Carpenter's (ISC)2 Info Security Professional Journal 4 episode series on Security Awareness (Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4)
- People-Centric Security: Transforming Your Enterprise Security Culture, by Lance Hayden
- Transformational Security Awareness: What Neuroscientists, Storytellers, and Marketers Can Teach Us About Driving Secure Behaviors, by Perry Carpenter
- Video: Simulated Phishing Campaign Notification for Your Users
- Video: Coronavirus Phishing Post-Click User Education
- Well Aware: Master the Nine Cybersecurity Habits to Protect Your Future, by George Finney
- What Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups can Teach Us about the Technology vs. Training Debate, by Perry Carpenter
Artwork by Chris Machowski.