The Human Element with Valecia Maclin
For Women’s History Month, we wanted to share the stories of just a few of the amazing women who make Microsoft the powerhouse that it is. To wrap up the month, we speak with Valecia Maclin, brilliant General Engineering Manager of Customer Security & Trust, about the human element of cybersecurity.
In discussion with hosts Nic Fillingham and Natalia Godyla, Valecia speaks to how she transitioned into cybersecurity after originally planning on becoming a mechanical engineer, and how she oversees her teams with a sense of humanity - from understanding that working from home brings unique challenges, to going the extra mile to ensure that no member of the team feels like an insignificant cog in a big machine - Valecia is a shining example of what leadership should look like, and maybe humanity too.
In this Episode You Will Learn:
- The importance of who is behind cybersecurity protocols
- How Microsoft’s Engineering, Customer Security & Trust team successfully transitioned to remote work under Valecia’s leadership
- Tips on being a more inclusive leader in the security space
Some Questions that We Ask:
- What excites Valecia Maclin about the future of Cybersecurity
- How does a mechanical engineering background affect a GM’s role in Infosec
- How Valecia Maclin, General Manager of Engineering, Customer Security & Trust, got to where she is today
Listen to: Afternoon Cyber Tea with Ann Johnson
Discover and follow other Microsoft podcasts at microsoft.com/podcasts
Security Unlocked is produced by Microsoft and distributed as part of The CyberWire Network.