Protecting the Power Grid
Electricity is all around us. In fact, you’re using it to read this right now. It powers (no pun intended) our everyday lives, and it works without us having to think about it. It’s kind of like breathing. I mean, you don’t have to tell your lungs “Hey! Start breathing right now!” But just like with breathing, the problems that can follow an interruption of electricity can be deadly. It shouldn’t be shocking (pun intended) that keeping power grids secure is an international priority.
In this episode of Security Unlocked, hosts Natalia Godyla and Nic Fillingham are joined by Microsoft’s Chief Security Advisor, Hafid Elabdellaoui, to talk about making our power grids safe and stable. So much relies on the stability of our power grids, it’s easy to forget how dependent we are. Hafid discusses the growing concerns with supply chain attacks and explains the importance of cyber hygiene at all levels of an organization.
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- The challenges of bringing new security practices to the old field of utilities
- Where cybersecurity meets physical security when utilities companies are under threats
- Why keeping a software inventory is crucial to your security
Some Questions We Ask:
- How do current power grid risks and threats compare to concerns 20 years ago?
- How do utilities companies work with the government to prevent large-scale power grid failures?
- How does Microsoft prepare for potential threats, and practice their responses?
Listen to: Afternoon Cyber Tea with Ann Johnson
Listen to: Security Unlocked
Discover and follow other Microsoft podcasts at microsoft.com/podcasts
Security Unlocked is produced by Microsoft and distributed as part of The CyberWire Network.