Announcing Cybersecurity First Principles course featuring Rick Howard, N2K Chief Security Officer.
Based on his best-selling book, Cybersecurity First Principles: A Reboot of Strategy and Tactics, and his podcast series, CSO Perspectives, Rick Howard has launched a new on-demand course to help security leaders learn how to manage the ideas, strategies, and technology used every day to take their cybersecurity program to the next level.
The Cybersecurity First Principles course is an on-demand program designed for security professionals of all levels. It provides a high-level summary of strategies and tactics with added insights from Rick that were not included in the book, and can be completed in as little as one hour. There's also a knowledge check at the end of the course. Please note: The Cybersecurity First Principles course is not a replacement for the book or vice versa. The course covers:
- Scientific First Principles: What is a First Principle and why is it important?
- The First Principle of Cybersecurity: Forget the CIA triad and Vulnerability Management.
- Strategies vs. Tactics: What is the difference between a strategy and a tactic?
- Zero Trust: What is Zero Trust, where does it come from, and why is it important?
- Kill Chain Breaking: What is the intrusion kill chain model?
- Resiliency: What is resilience as a survival vs a preventative strategy?
- Risk Forecasting: What is the correct way to measure probability?
- Automation: Why automation is the ultimate strategy to achieve the cyber first principle.
- Q&A with Rick Howard: Rick shares thoughts on current events, strategy, and more.
The Cybersecurity First Principles course is designed for both current and aspiring security leaders to help them understand how to apply these strategies within their own organizations. This course is also beneficial for business decision-makers, security vendors, teachers, students, and aspiring cybersecurity professionals looking to better understand the security landscape and how it all fits in together.
Rick Howard spoke with Dave Bittner about the launch of the course on the CyberWire Daily podcast. Think the Cybersecurity First Principles course is for you or your colleagues? Watch a sample lesson and learn more.